Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Big Talk!

One day soon, I am going to have a talk with my boys about a serious issue. I know I will have to do it, but I am dreading it. I have to talk to them about it because I know they are confused and so far I have chosen to leave them there. Is that fair? I'm not sure....maybe you can give me some feedback. It is not about sex, or even drugs...the other big ones to dread. This one is about meat.

About a year ago, Connor said this about chickens...
"There are two kinds of chickens mommy, the kind that live on a farm and the kind you eat."

This came up about the same time we were reading Charlotte's Web and I thought they would "get it" with the whole Wilbur being a Christmas ham thing, but they didn't which honestly I was fine with.

Well, it came up again but this time from Brody. I don't remember the exact conversation, but he was talking about having a wolf and I explained that wolves are predators to the sheep. He said, "it will be OK because my wolf will eat the other meat and not animal meat." Again I found myself choosing not to get into it and left him there. Am I an awful mother...maybe?

I realized that I am afraid that if they understand the whole concept they would have a real hard time with it. I am afraid that the little meat I can get them to eat would become a thing of the past. Maybe I am putting to much into it...I don't know. Bryan does tell me I can get real good at complicating things! I don't think I would care if they chose to pass on the meat if they ate other things that their body would need like cheese or beans but they don't.

I guess the REAL truth is that it might complicate things and I want it as easy as I can get it! After all isn't this mothering thing hard enough?

So send me your advice and stories and I will keep you posted!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just think tell them the truth without making too big a deal of it or going into graphic detail. They can't really choose to be vegetarians yet since they don't make the meals - don't worry. You can put the talk off until they're asking more.

Christy said...

I think you are safe putting it off. They will figure it all out with your help over time. Morgan struggles with being a meat eater sometimes and we just try not to make a big deal about it and she moves on a little at a time. Now when the sex talk comes up your on your own! ;)

Beth said...

Suzie, I'm sorry but I found this a little comical. (Please don't be offended.) I do know how you struggle with getting your boys to eat a wide variety of things though. I really don't think it is that big of a deal that you need to make a "talk" of it. There will come a day when they will figure it out. I would wait until they ask. They are smart boys at some point it is going to dawn on them. Although this is coming from a mom that won't let her daughter shave yet. "What's the worst that could happen"

I hope you know I'm joking with you - I love you, you'll figure it out. Pray about it - God cares about the details too.