Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Imagination is a Beautiful Thing


I absolutely love the creativity of my boys. I love that we are reading great books that open up their minds and encourage them in so many ways. We have been reading a book called "Gooney Bird Greene" that takes place in a schoolroom and I am pretty sure that is where the inspiration came from to set up a "school" in our living room. They had the whole room laid out with different grades in different rows and even had a chair in the front for me the teacher. Well, I played teacher for a few minutes and decided I didn't like that role and asked if I could be mommy again and they said, "yes, please"! I guess I was pretty strict in my official teacher role! Anyway, they had fun with it. I am not worried however that it makes them desire a more typical school environment, I think I am safe there. They see kids in the neighborhood getting out of school at almost 3:00 and they can't beleive what we have been able to do all that time including school. They don't see them leave for school early because they are usually still in bed:)





Then a little while later after many rounds of Suduko with our game board they had all the animal pieces lined up in rows and set up a parade with all of them and all of the small stuffed animals they could gather from around the house. (we have to many, by the way) I didn't capture a picture before the parade left town, but trust me, it was SO cute!


This afternoon Connor started making paper hats. Maybe from Curious George Rides a Bike? I don't know, but he was having fun. He even wore one when we went for a walk around the block, until the wind picked up a little...it was funny! Tonight he made this one that he was especially proud of and asked that I call it his "CAT HAT" and went on to explain that it is his wanting hat because he put what he wants on it.






I just love days where the only time we leave the house is to walk or ride bikes or have fun outside. We ran a whole bunch of errands yesterday just so we could enjoy this pleasure today and I'm so glad we did!

1 comment:

Christy said...

My kids LOVE how much we get to do in a day as well. Sometimes Morgan will say,"Mom, how many more hours do the kids at "regular" school have?" She is blown away when I tell her she would still be 2 hours or more from getting home. Oh and its made piano and swim team so much more enjoyable. When she complains about sitting and doing work at home I remind her of the hours she would sit at school and that usually does the trick. ;)